Friday, August 22, 2014

Health and Homesickness

The last couple of weeks have been rough health wise. I sprained my ankle, I got sick, and I didn't have my usual resources. 

I had to go to urgent care to see a doctor for my ankle, because the ankle brace I had bought was hurting me instead of helping me. I was scared and lonely and wanted my mommy. But it turned out okay, and although sprains don't heal fast my ankle is more or less okay and I got through.

Just this Tuesday, I got sick. Well, I started to have a fever on Monday night, but I wasn't sure and forgot about my doubts until the next day at school. But, for once in my life, I actually had mercy on myself and rested, so it only lasted a few days.

There have been a few accomplishments tied into these episodes: I went to urgent care, I dealt with a sprain, I took a taxi. These are good things to learn from as well as painful experiences.

Today, I was feeling pretty low because I miss my friends and went to the park nearby to read. I got to talking to an old man because of his dog (Well, his daughter's dog.) and he talked a bit about affection for home being a natural and healthy and good thing after I said that I was kinda homesick in response to queries about what I like about the city. It was nice to find someone being so nice. Also, I should hang around where old men hang out and talk to them more often.

But as far as happier notes, we had a flamenco dance class yesterday and we're going to Segovia tomorrow. Finals are next week, and next Saturday I get on a bus to Seville. I'll be there for four times as long, so I think it will be much easier to set down roots and feel comfortable in the city. Also, I'll have more time to get to know people and practice Spanish with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment